Monday, October 10, 2016

Japanese Style Autumn Set for Book Artists, etc.

Based on some lovely creative artwork from Japan, where the leaves in autumn can be spectacular.

When I first laid eyes on this decorated screen, I couldn't help admiring the graceful design that had been applied to its surface. The gold leaf was looking older than my own design concept for it, so it had to be refreshed a little bit. However, the beauty of it even without any updating has been obvious from the start. The details in this screen made this creative process a real joy.

Please see the red letter Guidelines at the foot of this post and always respect the copyrights of artists. Thank you.

A happy thought occurred to me as I gazed in delight upon the screen's beauty: what if (I enjoy that kind of question) I were to turn it into a set doors for Book Artists and other creative people?

The results shown below are the answer to that question. In addition, I've added an antique postage stamp from my own collection along with some hardware (hinges and a locking hasp), all Japanese.

The Display offers a few ideas as to how this Set might get used. For one thing, a photograph of some rice paper is not really as nice as the real thing, is it? Japanese papers are among some of my very favorite craft supplies, due to their beauty and versatility.

Many art and hobby stores sell Japanese papers. Both rice and mulberry papers would be, I think, very nice to use as backgrounds or as added components for your chosen design. But this is not just due to the fact that they tend to be created either in Japan or using Japanese techniques, but because they are also thin, fine, soft papers which layer well over other types of paper, especially between the pages of some books. (Book artists will understand immediately what I mean) One source for pretty Japanese paper may be found by following this link HERE. And at the link HERE, the patterned origami papers are luscious! They remind me of kimono fabrics! Additionally, there are both Japanese and other Asian style papers at this link HERE.

Adhesives for rice papers can be either just right or could cause buckling and rippling. It is best not to overwork delicate rice paper surfaces. Heavy Matte Gel Medium that is not overly moist might be OK, if your project is left to dry under some flattening weight. I personally enjoy keeping one older jar of my Liquitex Heavy Matte Gel Medium for projects requiring less moisture but fast adhesion, and using my newest jar for damper work. But you are, of course, free to use whatever would work best for you.

Happy Autumn Creativity!

PPS™Book Arts Set: Autumn in Japan

Download Set HERE

Display version
(lower quality than the download)



Display of possibilities
(lower quality than the download)


You are free to:
use the elements included 
in this Set
for fun or for profit.
But
You are not free to:
ever sell the elements 
included in this Set in sets 
which you have assembled yourself.
Thank you
for helping me to
keep free things free!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...