Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Our First Try at Swapping, the Blissfull way

Today's entry is all about participating in a new tradition around here known as interbloggery. ;)
While it's just going out to the recipient via snail mail, I'd like to share my first "Steampunk" style ATC card with our readers here at PPS.
What an adventure this was! I did a little surfing first, and then some sorting of the files before choosing the components. Time was when it would have challenged me greatly to try anything different this way, but as the process of learning does seem to keep rolling right along, I've gotten comfortable with a certain level of art-making using our studio setup. Digitally speaking, we are this close to operating more fully using CS5 rather than our good old standby, PSE8.
For this one, then, I relied on that old standby, as there just wasn't time enough for overhauling the desktop and making a first foray into the world of truly serious digital art-making.
Components included many items found online which our fellow bloggers did provide for free, bless them, and I mean to thank each and every one by including credits with links. You'll see that at the end of this post.


By the way, this is my own private design, for which I hold any rights available. It is on display today and may go away shortly, never to return.  You may neither publish  it elsewhere for any reason or by any means, nor claim to be its creator. Please abide by my wishes in this matter. I would never come to your home and walk away with something I'd taken of yours without your first offering (we do offer enough freebies here as it is, don't you think?). This is the same concept. Thank you for keeping that in mind.


The Blissfull ATC Swap link button may be found in our right sidebar, for those who may find it of interest. They do a swap every month, generally with a theme or some image that is supplied. I appreciate the organized way they do things. So, if you haven't already been by, it's well worth the visit!


Happy Creativity from all of us to all of you!
Rose


Dirigible Steampunk Holiday
by Rose McGuinn
©Plush Possum Studio



CREDITS



6 comments:

Ann said...

Rose..FABULOUS!!! Your swap partner is going to be delighted with this !!! So many steampunk elements placed perfectly..love the softness of this.I so wish I could do digital like you! You did this with PSE8? maybe in 5 or 10 years I'll have my PSE9 down like you have 8!..still more comfortable with cut and paste! love altering stuuf with color and adding stuff withPS,but layers are still confusing..but I'm working on it!!
A beautiful piece!! xo

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is gorgeous. I love the layout and all the visuals.

Plush Possum Studio said...

Mina, you are sweet! Thanks for your lovely attendance here, along with the pleasure of your company!
Rose

Plush Possum Studio said...

Ann:
You darling! Guess who has blogging partner with lots of with her Photoshop CS3? (She's moving up to CS5 very shortly) She's a real whiz! And she's been coaching yours truly.
About the softness aspect: (not to bore you, but it is so nice to be able to compare notes with someone like me with PSE!)
The trick is in learning when to slide your Opacity setting down a wee, till things may blend or nearly fade away. i think I must have over a dozen layers, perhaps over 15, in this one. It takes practice.
Another thing to pay attention to is the resolution. I always start at 300 when making ATCs. Then, once all the elements are in place, I make a Duplicate, leaving my original still with all of the layering available.
Next, i Flatten the layering of this Duplicate.
Then, I hit "Enhance" >>Adjust Color">>"Hue/saturation" and slide ONLY the saturation up till things look intensified, but not glaring.
This takes practice. More than I like to admit.
:P
Next, I use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to cordon off a small portion and Duplicate just that portion (I do a temporary crop here) for my TEST PRINT.
*whew!*
Always, I like to bump up the quality when saving, to beyond the default "maximum" if I so desire. This will ensure a better quality print overall.
And that's just about the extent of this student artist's knowledge on this project!
LOL!!!
Let's do coffee and talk shop via chat sometime!
;)

Angela said...

How fantastic! I'm in love with your card! I will be back to view lots more of your work!
Take care!
Angela
PS Thanks so much for stopping by my spot and commenting. That means so much to me!

Plush Possum Studio said...

Sew Loquacious Angela: (loving your blog's name, btw)
It's nice to know we feel the same way about each other's work.
Will look forward to seeing you back here agin. And we'll be back by to visit your spot real soon.
Rose

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...